[bt-devel] Some more patches

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri Apr 17 23:13:07 MST 2009

Jaak Ristioja wrote:

> The second patch, 0011-Remove-generated-config.h-file.patch makes CMake
> not generate config.h but instead pass on the BibleTime version via the
> command line.
>
> The third patch, Remove-QT4_AUTOMOC-in-favor-of-QT4_WRAP_CPP.patch makes
> CMake use QT4_WRAP_CPP instead of QT4_AUTOMOC. This eliminates the need
> to include the *.moc files in the *.cpp files.
>
> !!! CMake should still continue to work after applying these patches !!!
>
> Now, having eliminated all major obstacles for this, the fourth patch
> 0013-Added-preliminary-Qt4-project-files.patch adds some basic Qt
> project files for BibleTime, which allow one to build BibleTime using
> qmake instead of CMake. Nevertheless, CMake will still keep on
> functioning via the build scripts.
>
> So you might probably wonder whats the point of making qmake work. Well,
> using qmake means one can use Qt Creator properly. Yay! =]

This is quite interesting. However, I won't apply these at least yet.
These have to be decided together with other developers.

Getting Creator support is surely a positive thing. But Creator is
continually "under work" and they are working on better cmake support.
If cmake is supported directly there's no need for qmake. Cmake has been
originally selected for us because qmake may be too simple and
restricitive. It may work now but not necessarily in the future.

Personally I have used KDevelop even though it doesn't have direct cmake
support. After running cmake once the project is a normal make file
based project. Therefore the IDE has only to be able to use old style
make files. When the build system is changed cmake has to be run
manually once, but then it's easy to use e.g. KDevelop's Build functions.

Creator seems not to support other than qmake yet. It would be great to
have a Qt-based toolchain but I don't see it important enough to change
our code right now. Things may be different after some months when
Creator has been developed further and hopefully we have the Windows
build working. I think Creator is not very useful under Windows without
working MinGW build - if Visual Studio must be installed, people
probably rather use VS instead of Creator.

Now we eagerly wait Martin Gruner to come back from his vacation so that
he can say something about this. Other's opinions are of course also
welcome.

--Eeli Kaikkonen