[bt-devel] [ bibletime-Feature Requests-2748060 ] Programm-Icon without Crux

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 10 11:01:07 MST 2009

Feature Requests item #2748060, was opened at 2009-04-09 18:11
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by mgruner
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350954&aid=2748060&group_id=954

not just the latest update.
Category: General
Group: None

Initial Comment:
There are many christian which not use the crux. So it would be nice, if the Programm-Icon of Bibletime doesn't have a crux... cause it is a Symbol for some Christian, but not for all.

Comment By: Eeli Kaikkonen (eelik)
Date: 2009-04-10 10:35

Message:
If you can give some statistics and examples of those who don't accept the
cross, there is a distant possibility that we may take this into account.
You should also offer another symbol which is universally recognized  (and
the new icon set, too). As far as I know, the cross is accepted by the vast
majority of Christians, and we never can please every single user. If you
refer to JWs or Mormons, you probably already know that they aren't
Christians in opinion of the majority of those who generally are recognized
to be Christians. If you refer to e.g. Vine's Expository Dictionary
(http://www.antioch.com.sg/cgi-bin/bible/vines/get_defn.pl?num=0616), I
don't find the arguments for 'stake' convincing after reading other
authoritative sources. Either way, the cross is a de facto standard symbol
for Christianity and I'm not willing to change it. I don't speak for the
other developers, and if they are willing to do it, we may change it.

If someone really doesn't want to see a cross, he can replace the
corresponding icons and pictures in the installation directory. BibleTime
is Open Source and one can even redistribute it with different icon set.