[bt-devel] Windows SVN Build

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Apr 8 07:21:48 MST 2009

Quoting "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org>:

> Gregory Hellings wrote:
>> I'm assuming this is in SVN and not in 1.5.11. If so, we would have
>>  to wait until the next release. The sword.conf file would probably
>>  just be a stop-gap until the next release. I'd be happy to build
>> with SVN but I think that the general BibleTime thoughts is that we
>>  just distribute versions against released SWORD.  The sword.conf
>> would probably be a good enough idea for now.

It would be nice to be able to use the sword svn for any release. The
cross-platformity is a problem. If we use svn for Windows but
Linux/other distributions use a stable release we may get problems.
Partly this is the situation already because we can't dictate which
sword version a distribution has. But I don't want to answer to user
questions about missing features: "I'm sorry that you as a Linux user
has inferior software, but your distribution doesn't use the latest
unstable libraries". Or vice versa, there may be bugs in svn which are
not present in older code.

This is my personal opinion and if someone wants to release the
Windows port with sword svn I'm ready to discuss about it. But we
can't tell the Linux/other packagers to use svn code.

> Understood and respect that decision.  However, we have been calling
> for frontend feedback on svn in lieu of an imminent 1.6.x branch
> release hopefully in the next day or two.
>

> Any feedback before we release would be greatly appreciated.

I hate the fact that I have too little time to experiment. Setting up
the library from code is too much work and mostly I have been trying
to find a setup which just works. After couple of weeks the situation
may be different, but now I have to leave this to others, even when I
want to keep up with the library development.

--Eeli Kaikkonen