[bt-devel] Icons and buttons (was: more linearGradients (and bt_findstrongs.svg))

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Apr 7 08:11:11 MST 2009

Jonathan Marsden wrote:

>> There are no icons for all possible situations anyways, so this is not
>> very important. At some point we should add icons in several places, but
>> it can wait now.
>
> Sure.  Is there a list of which icons do not exist (but are in the code)
> somewhere, maybe as a Feature Request in that tracker on SF?  Since
> someone went to the trouble of adding code in BT to use these icons, it
> would be nice to have the actual icons themselves, too :)  Creating new
> icons is something a non-programmer could do, too, so this might be a
> nice project for someone who cares about BT and has some
> artistic/graphics talent (which I definitely do not have!).

The question is, what users expect to see. A missing icon which is named
in the source code is not important if users don't notice it (we don't
have to care about command line warnings). But when you use the
application and notice that something is missing or doesn't look good,
then there's room for improvement. For example there are several OK or
Close or Cancel buttons which don't have icons even though several
others do have them. We should be consistent and add missing icons.

This leads to another issue with buttons. We now use the default Qt
buttons (OK, Cancel etc.) which have default text given by Qt. Everyone
knows that interface with mixed languages looks very bad. We should
translate every button ourselves. This would be easier if we added some
util functions which take Qt buttons (or QDialogButtonBox) and turn them
to BT standard buttons with proper text and icon.

--Eeli Kaikkonen