[bt-devel] Which IDE(s) do you use?

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Oct 25 16:33:04 MST 2008

Dylon Edwards wrote:
> I've been running KDE from trunk the last week or so, hoping to use
> KDevelop4 for working on BT; however, I have not been able to
> successfully create a new project with it (I can open the New Project
> dialog from Projects -> New Project, and provide all the information
> it needs, but nothing happens when I click Finish) :P
>
> As such, which, if any, IDE's do you use for developing BT?  I could
> use Kate or another text editor, but it would be really nice to have
> an IDE that would check for syntax errors as I learn Qt/C++.

I use KDevelop. The project file is attached. You need to change some
configuration, mainly some paths. The build tool is Make so it doesn't
know how to build if you start from scratch because we use cmake.
However, after cmake has been run once you need to use only make to
build, so you can build from the KDevelop UI.

1. Put the kdevelop project file into the project root directory.
2. Open it with kdevelop.
3. Run the build script or cmake (as described in our wiki) from command
line.
4. Edit files with kdevelop.
5. Build->Install with kdevelop.
Repeat 4. and 5.