[bt-devel] Towards a 1.7 release - what is missing, who can help

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Fri May 2 22:25:45 MST 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Martin Gruner wrote:

> Cool! We should setup a wiki page for this.
> >
> > It would be great if there was a list of different things to test... I
> > build it periodically and fire it up, but I don't know exactly what
> > needs to be tested.

The first thing is to find all "visible" features and simply use them,
for example find all buttons and context menu items and use them one by
one. This is quite easy but still can help us because something may has
gone unnoticed especially after changing something.

Read carefully all UI strings and see if they are good English, easy to
understand and consistent with other strings. List lacking tooltips.

You can also read "Closed bugs, to be verified" list on our Prerelease
Bugs wiki page and test them and by yourself pick up some related
features and try to use them also. I have found many bugs by using some
feature for some unrelated reason, playing around for a while and
bumping to something else.

Then there are more sophisticated cases: first do something, then do
something else. What should be tested depends on external and internal
factors. By external I mean for example having no modules or having all
modules installed (the common limit values for testing: MIN, MAX, MIN-1,
MIN+1, MAX-1, MAX+1, 0, 1, -1 if possible). By internal factors I mean
that architecturally/functionally some things depend on some other
things, as implemented in the code. "If I change this code, that one
should be tested also."

These sophisticated cases are hard to find and their amount could be
easily several thousands. Only developers can describe the internal code
dependencies. Anyone can describe the external dependencies. Actually
most of the bugs are found by accident when a user triggers some
dependency which has not been triggered before. For example developers
have a system with some modules preinstalled before they start writing
code. Then the case when there are no modules installed will never be
tested by them. A user who starts up with a clean system finds out that
the app crashes immediately. Then it's important to describe the
situation in plain English so that it can be tested. Ideally we should
gather these kind of situations and add them to regression test list.
Actually it would have not hurt to add some of our "Prerelease Bugs" to
a test list even though they were fixed.

Offtopic: Now I'm leaving for a motorcycle trip for two days. See you
later :)

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland