[bt-devel] Good news (about bookmarks)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Dec 27 14:21:52 MST 2008

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> Moving or copying bookmarks in the tree doesn't work yet. Creating
> bookmarks by dragging them from text views work. Exporting/importing
> doesn't work.

These all work now. I noticed that I can't print. KDE opens a print
dialog but when clicking nothing happens.

> This all needs testing.
> - Load existing bookmarks created with 1.6
> - Try different this with many or no bookmarks
> - Start drag from different places from BT or from other applications
> - Drag to the bookmarks view to different areas
> - Drag bookmarks to other widgets and other applications
> - Cancel drags which are created in different places and are on top of
> different areas
> - Resize the bookmarks view, make it very small/large and try different
> things
> - Try dragging on top of a folder which has subfolders
> - Open the RMB menu on top of different areas with different kinds of
> item selections
> - Test the RMB menu items with different kinds of items/selections

Add:
- Import/Export bookmarks
- Print
- Move/copy with different kinds of selections to different places

The code I have written lately is quite algorithm oriented and is made
with trial and error. There are probably bugs although I have already
fixed quite many. I'm quite tired with this so I won't find many new
bugs anymore. I need help with testing.

> And tell your opinions:
>
> How the RMB menu should work with regarding to different
> items/selections? Does it feel logical now? Do you feel it works just
> like you expected? How about selecting/moving/copying bookmarks - how it
> should work (after it's implemented)? Or anything else which comes to
> mind...

Some things are disabled on top level (without selected items).
Printing, exporting, importing. Should these work, assuming an invisible
  root folder? I changed Export and Import menu texts to be a bit more
guiding. It shouldn't be too much work to make these work from top
level, too.

Move/copy works like this:

Any selection can be dragged. However, if there are several items, only
bookmarks OR one folder can be dropped. A folder can't be dropped into
itself or into its subfolder. A tooltip is shown if illegal drop is
attempted. I think this is already better than 1.6 which allowed only
copying, and only bookmarks, not folders.

After these have been tested and bugs fixed all the old functionality
for bookmarks is there if you don't mind missing top level actions.
There are no outstanding items in our development plan. It's testing we
need before the 1.7.0 release. I suggest we test the current svn and
release the last beta (4). Then we can still fix small bugs before
releasing the 1.7RC. If no new outstanding issues are found after that,
we can release 1.7.0.

--Eeli Kaikkonen