[bt-devel] Next beta? (Re: compiling 1.7 on Kubuntu 8.10)

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Dec 14 04:20:23 MST 2008

Thomas Crawford wrote:
> I had no problem building the svn bibletime code on fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.10
> using a sword 1.5.11 build using --enable-shared --without-clucene.
>
> So far, I haven't had any issues with search but I have only been using the
> KJV, TR and another language module.
>
> Give me some suggestions (which modules) and I will try to run the search
> module into the ground over the next few days.

Answering this took too long, sorry about that. But the beta3 is out and
it should be easier to compile for everyone. It still needs testing.

We should gather some guidelines for testing the search feature. Here
are some important:

- Try at least one module from each module type/category.
- Try at least one module with non-ascii unicode characters.
- Try one Greek and one Hebrew module. (instead of or in addition to the
previous item.)
- Try searching Strong's numbers (in KJV, some Greek modules).
- Try searching morphology (KJV, some Greek modules).
- Try searching adjacent Strong's numbers (some words in KJV represent
more than one Greek word).
- Try searching for small words: articles, "and", "or"... alone and with
other words.
- Try searching all available tags (also other than Strong's and
morphology: heading, footnote).

- Try "All words", "Some words" and "Full".
- Try selecting a set of modules.
- Try the scope/range.
- Try the Strong's numbers feature in the module list in the results area.
- Try Analyzing the results and check if it looks correct.

But these don't cover all situations so common sense is required. Try to
find new use cases. Test closing and opening the Search dialog in
different situations and in different ways. Test that it saves and
restores the settings correctly.

--Eeli Kaikkonen