[bt-devel] NET Bible Unlock Bug

Jeremy Erickson jerickson314 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 26 15:37:36 MST 2007

	As I posted on the wiki, I found a bug in the port of BibleTime to KDE 4
which it turns out is also present in the current KDE 3 version.  When I
start BibleTime, it prints a message, "WARNING: Unlock key of module NET is
not valid."  However, it is nonetheless possible to use the module as if
there was no problem.  I found out that the message is being printed from
line 178 in src/backend/drivers/cswordmoduleinfo.cpp when it encounters a
nonprinting character in the text of Genesis 1.  It does in fact decrypt the
text properly, but some Hebrew characters (the name "Elohim" in footnote 2 of
1:1) are represented improperly in the QString and as such test as
nonprinting characters.  This causes the test for a proper unlocking to fail.
I think the root cause is using fromLatin1() when the text itself was not
encoded in Latin 1.  Would there be a simple fix to make sure the text
encoding is handled properly?  I think this would be sufficient to fix the
bug.  Alternatively, would there be a cleaner way to check for unlocking?

-Jeremy Erickson