[bt-devel] First KDE4 RC

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 22:00:09 MST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 2:14 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Greg Hellings wrote:
>
> > With the release of the RCs, the binary builds for Mac have been
> > updated.  I'm downloading them now - it doesn't sound like they
> > include the latest of these updates that you're talking about, but I
> > will do my best to see if I can build and run Bibletime on the Mac.
>
> Thanks. I believe the battle have been won if you can start BibleTime
> even if it crashes.

That won't tell me much more than previously, when I could build it,
but all of my KDE applications were crashing. ;)

I can at least try and rebuild the offending KDE4 package if you tell
me which one it is.  I am currently running off of having installed
qt, kdesupport, strigi, soprano, blitz, kdelibs, kdepimlibs and
kdebase.  For now I have two problems - the first is that it seems
unable to locate my GetText installation (might this have to do with
the fact that it's called libgettextlib on Mac and called libgettext
on other platforms?  I'm not sure of its actual name elsewhere, but it
seems reasonable that something Mac-related would mess with that).
After that, I get a perfect building process for it all, but come up
with this during the linking stage:
[100%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/bibletime.dir/src/main.o
Linking CXX executable bibletime.app/Contents/MacOS/bibletime
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lQtCore
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bibletime.app/Contents/MacOS/bibletime] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/bibletime.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
makeobj[0]: Leaving directory `/Users/kde-devel/kde.build/bibletime-svn.build'

Because Mac is weird like that, the three arguments -lQtCore -lQtGui
-lQtXml are superfluous.  Pulling those out of the build.make file has
the program linking beautifully and running with the instant-crash as
you've indicated.  This is the backtrace, to ensure that we're talking
about the same crash:
[KCrash handler]
#5  0x9003d66c in kill ()
#6  0x9010e8cf in raise ()
#7  0x9010d422 in abort ()
#8  0x90b4539c in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler ()
#9  0x90b43602 in __gxx_personality_v0 ()
#10 0x90b43640 in std::terminate ()
#11 0x90b437a4 in __cxa_rethrow ()
#12 0x0004e480 in util::filesystem::DirectoryUtil::initDirectoryCache
() at /Users/kde-devel/kde.build/bibletime-svn/src/util/directoryutil.cpp:133
#13 0x0004f6f2 in util::filesystem::DirectoryUtil::getLocaleDir () at
/Users/kde-devel/kde.build/bibletime-svn/src/util/directoryutil.cpp:256
#14 0x000e5a06 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbffffcd4) at
/Users/kde-devel/kde.build/bibletime-svn/src/main.cpp:237

If you indicate whether the offending update to SVN is in kdelibs or
kdebase or what have you, I can freshen my SVN build of that and see
if I can make better progress.

Good-looking work here!  If we can't get this working due to this bug,
at least it looks promising that things will run smoothly and happily
after RC2 (or final, whichever comes next).  Now - off to bug the KDE4
people about the problem I just posted to here and sword-devel.

--Greg