[bt-devel] Qt 4.3 & KListView

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Jun 11 02:37:32 MST 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 cricketc at gmail.com wrote:

> In case you haven't heard, Qt 4.3 is officially out, so the qt-copy on
> KDE has been updated a lot. I'm running the new Qt & an updated
> kdelibs, but I'm not sure yet how much BibleTime is affected.

Only if there are API changes in KDE. If I have understood correctly Qt
is compatible so that all 4.x versions work with the code which is
linked against some 4.x version. There are new, even major, featurers
but nothing existing is changed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> Also, someone is working on KListView. I'm not sure when he'll be
> finished, though, and I'm not sure if we'll want to switch back from
> QTreeWidget anyway. Just to let you know.

I'm still not completely sure if the TreeItem which I removed was/is
necessary, we'll see it later. But if it was necessary with old
KListView, is not necessary with QTreeWidget and would be necessary with
new KListView, then I surely don't want to switch back from QTreeWidget.
The code is now really simple.

Switching away from KListView was hard work for me and I don't want to
do as much with other files. Therefore we decided with Martin to enable
Qt3 compatibility in build system so that we don't have to move e.g.
from old QTextView to the new one - it would require days of research.
Now when it's in CMakeLists.txt it's easy to see how to enable/disable
it. Maybe it's good to compile one file (.o target) with compatibility
support disabled if possible and switch it on only if necessary. The
whole code has to be of course compiled with compatibility enabled if
there is even one file which needs it. There may be new problems in old
files when the compatibility is switched on/off.

I still want to do a clean port, but some parts are just too much work
for now. I'll get back to them after we have working KDE4 application.

BTW, from http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Roadmap:

" Milestone: Beta Cycle, Full kdelibs API Freeze
Start: 25 June 2007 End: 24 September 2007 Duration: 3 months
(estimated)
Goals:
    * From this date forward, a Beta Release will be published every
month until most grave bugs are resolved.
    * Starting with the first Beta (25 June), the kdelibs API is frozen
solid. "

So after two weeks the KDE API is frozen. And beta will probably be
packaged and used more than alpha was, so it wouldn't hurt to have
working BibleTime as soon as possible.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland