[bt-devel] [ bibletime-Bugs-1660413 ] Capitalization of "LORD"

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Sat Feb 17 10:40:05 MST 2007

Hi Troy,
thank you for your email.

> This is not an issue of altering the module's content for presentation.
>   It is an issue of presenting markup in a way you would like.   All
> translations from Hebrew Yahweh to English LORD have been marked up as
> <divineName>Lord</divineName>.   Most display filters have been changed
> to transform <divineName> tags to smallcap their contents.  I would be
> my opinion that Bibletime should update their filters to do the same.

Good point.
I'll look into this.

> This might be a good opportunity to consider dropping your custom filter
> set and using the builtin HTML filter set from SWORD, as does swordweb,
> gnomesword, qpsword, and swordreader.  We keep this filter set updated
> and it would remove a great burden from your team to get free updates as
> we share in a common filter set.

Imho, this is a good idea.
But there are several reasons why we'll stay with our own filters:

- Sword releases. If you look at the release dates of the Sword library you
can see that a release takes a long time. 1.5.6 needed about 10 months, 1.5.7
4 months, 1.5.7a about 9.5 months, 1.5.8 about 9.5 months and 1.5.9 1 year
and 4 months.
That means (worst case) we'd get a filter bugfix after 16 months. At the
moment we release our minor versions about all 2-3 months, that means we have
to maintain our own filters.
There havn't been any quick Sword bugfix releases in the past, at least I
can't remember one.

- We also decided to use official Sword releases for development so we don't
depend on the Sword releases for our own major release dates. This means we
maintain our own filters if the latest Sword release doesn't have all we
need.

- We do different stuff in our filters. In almost all places we use div and
span tags with class attributes and format those tags with our display
templates. That'd mean we have to override the handling of almost all tags if
we use a Sword filter.
Another example is our crossref handling.

- We're short of time. In BibleTime we didn't have a lot of development going
on in the last months of even years. I prefer to leave the filters how they
are to save time to do other work in BibleTime.

I hope this helps you to understand why we stick to our own filters.