[bt-devel] new dependency: boost

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Tue Dec 11 14:03:03 MST 2007

Dear friends,

I just removed our own scoped_resource implementation from SVN. In order to
professionalize our code I decided to add a new (header-only) dependancy: the
famous boost library (http://boost.org). It contains a scoped_ptr
implementation which is probably better than ours. And MUCH more than that.
See for example the documentation on smart_ptr for how you can do a very
simple low-overhead garbage-collection in C++. With Boost and QT we ain't
gonna need Java no more. =)

For those who don't know boost yet: It is a collection of well-designed,
peer-reviewed, portable and thoroughly tested headers which extend the power
of C++. Many of them are expected to be included in the next C++ standard
(C++0x). They make heavy use of template-based programming and therefore
(most of them) do not require a separate library to be installed and linked
against (= header-only).

You need to install libboost-dev to be able to compile BibleTime from now on.

Developers are welcome to use other parts of (header-only, for now) boost than
scoped_ptr, which is currently used, if it is appropriate.

God bless,

mg