[bt-devel] BibleTime Search

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Fri Jan 6 13:06:52 MST 2006

Hi Joachim,

> > Right now the backend does what it has to do, and informs the
> > user, but without user interaction. You could just go ahead and override
> > buildIndex() in the genbook class and copy the progress dialog code.
>
> Copying the progress dialog code creates redundant code. We should try to
> avoid that, as it means more work, more maintainance and more bugs :)

Well, in this case the code redundancy would be there, but it would be
minimal. I'm pretty sure that your solution would require more actual code.
In the end the frontend calls the backend, which in turn calls frontend
functions with signal/slot, and then returns to the frontend.

> We'd probably need a layer in between for things like the progress dialog
> connection.

This depends on where it is needed, I would say. Then you have
backend<->"middleware"<->frontend.
Things will probably become more and more complicated the more layers there
are.

I guess it would be useful to make the interfaces of backend and frontend more
generic/abstract, but hopefully without an additional layer in between.

Joachim, I just looked at your proposal (task list on sf) for the keychooser.
Why do you think it is not generic enough? Do you really want to create a
document/view model for such a simple widget?

In any case, we should start using designer where we can.

mg