[bt-devel] BibleTime Search

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Thu Jan 5 11:42:49 MST 2006

Hi,

> I am not so sure. By what you suggest, we'd introduce an additional
> connection between backend and frontend instead of having a clean
> separation.

The backend should be seperated from the frontend in the way, that it doesn't
contain GUI stuff, i.e. no dialogs, not message boxes, etc.
It is the base for the frontend and provides the classes to the frontend so it
can do the desired tasks in the GUI.
Sure, we need connections between those two. You're right that we should take
care not to add too many connections.

> Right now the backend does what it has to do, and informs the
> user, but without user interaction. You could just go ahead and override
> buildIndex() in the genbook class and copy the progress dialog code.

Copying the progress dialog code creates redundant code. We should try to
avoid that, as it means more work, more maintainance and more bugs :)

But I know that the current structure of BibleTime is a horrid mess. Hacks all
over the place.
We'd probably need a layer in between for things like the progress dialog
connection.

In my dreams I'd love to write all that into some piece of perfect software
with a beautiful architecture. In my dreams =)

What do you think?