[bt-devel] Status & personal commentary editor redesign (feedback welcome)

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Oct 3 03:13:41 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 18:35 +0200, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
> Hi all,
> here's a short status update on the planned development.
>
> Cross plattform doesn't seem to be possible with the current team and man
> power, so we want to release more often with smaller changes at a time.
> We hope to do the changes to make cross-plattform possible for the future, but
> it's out of our scope for now.
>
> We'd like to have a improved personal commentary editor for 1.5.2 / 1.6 (or
> whatever the next version will be).
> I think putting the editor into a text window wasn't a great idea. Where do
> you think would be the best place for the editor?  How should it look like?
> What feature are essential for you?
>
> Please post your ideas, perhaps they'll make it into the next release.
>
> We'd love to get user feedback how to improve that part!

<snip>
I haven't minded the editor in a text window.  I would like the
formatting to be preserved between the editor and the display windows.
I would also like the display window to not truncate long comments.

I do not know if it is possible given the two different modes of editing
(plain text and html), but I would love to not have a separate windows
for editing; I would prefer to edit the personal commentary in place.

It would be nice to hyperlink scripture references in the personal
commentary.  Perhaps this can already be done in html mode (I always use
plain text).  If not, we might be able to kill two birds with one stone.
The hyperlinks would need to read a complete scripture reference with
abbreviations (e.g., Jn 3:16).  I would like to see the book combo box
in the Bible navigator be able to do so as well.  It slows me down to
have to enter the scripture I want to read in three separate combo
boxes.

As always, thanks for everything you've done and are doing - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com