[bt-devel] Integration into KDE (e.g. KDEEDU)

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Tue May 31 13:33:51 MST 2005

Hi Heiko, David,
finally, I'm sending my reply to this nice thread. I read the eMail thread and
will post my thoughts about here without quoting stuff :)

I have several problems including BibleTime into KDE:
	-Man power. We just have one developer actively working on the project's code
and doing the organisational things. My time is limited in the time I have
tests in university and I got more of it in the vacations. So that doesn't
fir well with the KDE schedule where we may not add new things or have to fix
stuff in a limited period of time.
	-My faith :) Although I don't see a problem to use BibleTime somewhere to
support christian in the best way and I even think offering a Quran module
might be a valuable ressource for (some) christians. But I will never remove
anything like the Bible study howto or the daily tips which include scripture
quotes from the standard BibleTime package. And having these things in it
will surely offend the (mostly, I guess) atheistic KDE developers,
translators and users all over the world so they'd remove that stuff.
	-We'd loose our independence as a project. We'd be forced to follow
guidelines, feature plans, and more which are not made by christians. I fear
that our motivation and plans will collide with KDE's understanding of
development.

On the other hand, we'd need more volunteers for things like translations and
icons. But I'm not going to leave my aims with BibleTime behind just to get
more volunteers.

My personal conclusion is that we need more volunteers in the BibleTime team
itself and that we, the developers, need to encourage and support this in a
better way. I'd like to get a team spirit for the people in the BibleTime
team so we can do the work together and not alone so we can provide
christians using Linux with a better tool all over the world.

I hope my tone wasn't too harsh. It's not meant to be :)
Blessings,