[bt-devel] Integration into KDE (e.g. KDEEDU)

Mon May 30 18:55:01 MST 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 06:03 pm, heiko.evermann at gmx.de wrote:
> And I have one question that I would like to ask you:
> Would you like to be part of KDE. I think it would fit nicely into the
> kdeedu (http://edu.kde.org) package (edutainment).
> <quote>
> The KDE Edutainment Project
>  We are developing high-quality educational software for the K Desktop
> Environment. Our primary focus is on schoolchildren aged 3 to 18, and the
> specialized user interface needs of young users. However, we also have
> programs to aid teachers in planning lessons, and others that are of
> interest to university students and anyone else with a desire to learn!
> </quote>

I think this is something that needs to be discussed, so far Martin and
Joachim haven't said anything, and since they're the senior members they
would have final say. But there are things that need discussed with this.

> For bibletime this would mean:
> 1) KDE distributions would include bibletime, so bibletime would be
> included in all major Linux distributions.
> 2) The KDE translation teams would translate bibletime into a lot of
> languages. e.g. for KStars we got the Swedish translation for free and we
> got a nice reply from a Swedish father who told us that KStars was the only
> free desktop planetarium available in Swedish and that his child really
> liked it. The child knew Swedish, but no English.

While greater publicity is a good thing I agree, but there are some problems
with that, such as that making kde-edu dependent on the sword library. And I
personally have some qualms about Bibletime being in the menu under
Edutainment. But then again, the extra translations would also be beneficial.
So, as I said, I think it should be discussed

> I proposed that to Anne-Marie Mahfouf from kdeedu and got this reply from
her:
> > First, it's not sure that the BibleTime team has any wish to be part of
> > KDE-Edu. this implies to be up-to-date with kdelibs and to follow the KDE
> > releases so there are several rules to follow that maybe they don't want
> > to follow.
> > I suggest you ask them first if they want to be part of KDE (I don't say
> > KDE-Edu here) official.
> > BibleTime was started with KDE1 and they never integrated KDE official.

She has a point with this. Right now the only external libraries that
determine the bibletime release schedule are the sword libraries. And keeping
with them is really more important than kde. This has been one of the holdups
with the release of 1.5, for instance. But what are the other rules that we
may not want to follow? I personally like to have an idea of what I'm getting
into with something like that before I do it.

> > If they agree to be part of KDE official and to follow the conditions
> > implied, then the whole KDE people should state its opinion about that.
> > As you know, KDE tends to be international and I am not sure how
> > BibleTime can be integrated. This has to be widely debated and in any
> > case can I take any decision myself. I am the KDE-Edu maintainer in the
> > sense of keeping things togetther in the module but I don't take any
> > decisions about the programs that join or not.

Yes, the community would be the final determiner of this. And judging from the
kde-look wars when people post Christian artwork, the community may not
accept us.

> > So the first thing you should do is ask the BibleTime team about their
> > intentions for joining KDE and then ask KDE (kde-devel or kde-core-devel
> > mailing lists) where this program could be integrated.

Wise council, and I would like to hear from our project leaders on this one
myself

> I, personally, would really like to see your program integrated, because it
> would help to make bibletime known. And so I am now asking you for your
> opinion on this.

Yes it would indeed raise publicity, but I want to make sure it's the right
thing, so I again reiterate that we should discuss this.