[bt-devel] Re: BibleTime scrolling with Bibledit

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Fri Jun 3 02:05:12 MST 2005

Hi Teus,
welcome on the list. It's nice to do things together.
I'm sending a copy to bt-devel, because your message did not make it onto the
list.

> Is there already some kind of interface in BibleTime so that an external
> program can cause it to jump to a certain location in the Scriptures?

There's no interface yet to do these things. But I think we can put this into
1.5.1.

> If not, are you willing to discuss with me how such an interface might
> look like? It could be a TCP/IP port where BibleTime listens on for
> certain commands. Or it could be a file that is written by the external
> program, and read by BibleTime so that it jumps to the Bible reference
> in that file. Or a signal could be sent so that BibleTime would read
> that file.

Have a look at http://phil.freehackers.org/kde/kde-techno/kde-techno-2.html,
it's about KDE's system of inter process communication. Does this sound
reasonable and useful for you?
If it it possible to use that we can add a DCOP interface to BibleTime for
version 1.5.1.

You could even just call the dcop command line tools to make BibleTime scroll
to a given position.
E.g. "dcop kicker Panel restart" executes the restart command for the Kicker
Panel.

Let me know,