[bt-devel] Bibletime 2 testing

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Sun Aug 14 13:16:41 MST 2005

Hi,

> That sounds massively complicated in writing, but if I hear you right, it
> sounds like you want a setup that is similar to Biblestudy/BibleCS, where
> sliders are used to resize a few different panels, but the user can hide
> panels. But what do you do when user A wants Bible in the upper right,
> commentary in the upper left and lexicon on the bottom, while user B wants
> commentary in the upper right, lexicon in the upper left and Bible on the
> bottom while user C only wants commentary and Bible? You would need to
> program in a ridiculous number of options. Also, each panel would require
> its own navigation pane.

> I think it might be better to keep the multiple tabs, like you are
> recommending, and allow a few basic setups, like "left/right,"
> "top/bottom," "left/top right/top bottom," "top left/bottom left/right" and
> so on (still a LOT of nearly redundant coding, if you ask me) and allow
> each of those panels to hold any type of text. Then, possibly Gabriel's
> idea could come in handy with the "Press F7 to bring up a navigation
> dialog" type of navigation from the active panel.

I don't think we have to program each case.
We have to find a general algorithm to solve this.
But it's probably confusing from a users point of view. That's why I think
predefined views are better.

> That said, I still like the freedom of moving and resizing child windows as
> desired, but might it be possible to do that, while using Gabriel's idea
> for navigation and/or utillizing one toolbar that changes as different
> child windows are selected? I think the free-floating window panes is one
> of the strongest points in favor of Bibletime/MacSword when compared with
> Gnomesword, Biblestudy, and BibleCS.

Hm. Floating toolbars which change are probably too complex for users. We have
to find a nice solution for the frontend.
We have a lot of time for that. A first of a port will probably use the old
interface of 1.x.