[bt-devel] BibleTime future

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Sun Aug 14 13:12:11 MST 2005

Hi,

> > A word of caution: Don't underestimate the size of the current codebase.
>
> I agree.  A friend once said to me, "The only *good* code is old code."

Hm.
I agree that using the old code is probably the better solution.
I think that our Sword backend class is not well done so we have to redesign
that at some time. And that will break anything else in BT.

But I think it's better to get it running on Win/Qt4 first and then do
restructuring/redesigning of the old code.

> 1. Port to Qt4 using Qt3 compatability.  This is the shortest path to Qt4.
> It's the fastest route to get up and running on Qt4.  For example,
> KListView would be ported to Q3ListView with minor changes.  Moving to
> Qt4's QListView requires implementing the Interview architecture of Qt4.

Qt4's interview equivalent is QTreeView. QListView is for simple lists.
There's QTreeWidget which has a similair interface as Q3ListView but I think
we should use QTreeView if we move away from the Q3 compatibility.

> 2. Port from Qt3 compatability to a true Qt4 app.  i.e. migrate the
> deprecated class to use the true Qt4 classes.

I think these two steps is the way we should go if we decide to port to
Qt4/win.

IMHO the most important problem is KHTML atm. If we can't get that working on
Qt4 then a BibleTime port is not possible.
We have to use KHTML from KDE4pre or we should try to use the new KDom KHTML
port. I don't know. We have to test this before we're working on a port.