[bt-devel] Bibletime 2 testing

Joachim Ansorg nospam+bt-devel at joachim-ansorg.de
Sat Aug 13 02:23:46 MST 2005

Hi,
that's pretty cool! I'll test the exe as soon as possible.  I guess we could
even link Qt statically.

> > 4. I had to remove the dependance on ../libs/sword-backend/libsword-
> > backend.a as well as change the definition of LIBS so that it points to
> > ../libs/sword-backend/debug/libsword-backend.a

Hm, the build path for a debug lib is different here, but we know now how to
fix that :)

> > 6. In a sudden burst of inspirational genius moments before I went to
> > bed, I looked again in the Qt directory - there is no debugging version
> > of the libqtmain, so the libqtmaind is not there. So I changed everything
> > to building a release version and found that ld.exe bailed out on
> > -lsword. I fixed that by adding a line to LIBS that included my
> > libsword.a and the program built perfectly. Now, true... I don't have a
> > debug version available under Windows, but I do now have a bibletime2.exe
> > built.

In Linux I just set symlinks from the non-debug to the debug version to be
able to debug the test program.

> > Just as a final note, I much prefer the UI of the current Bibletime. I
> > think the strongest feature of Bibletime and MacSword is the fact that
> > the windows within can be rearranged freely, rather than relying on
> > pre-positioned panels with sliders. But I realize this is mainly a
> > proof-of-concept at the moment. I look forward to the upcoming success!

I think the UI of BT 1.x is fine but is not usuable for many open windows. And
the toolbars eat up too much space.
I thought of a concept similair to konquerors "split current view left/right",
and "splitt top/bottom". Each tab window could be splitted to hold module
displays like "Bible on the left, lexicon in the lower right and a commentary
in the upper right corner". And the Bible part could display some Bibles in
parallel.
That way we have everything important in one window and we can have several
windows open without cluttering the screen.
We'd have one toolbar which changes if you change a tab.

The navigator allows to navigate in all modules using a tree. We'd also have a
"direct key input" on it's top to enter keys directly.

These are just plans, I guess we need to test them before we decide to use
them.
It would be great to hear what you guys would love as an user interface!

And we have to decide if we do the port and how we'd do it.

Thank you for your hard work to get the exe working!