[bt-devel] sample modules

Luke Plant spookylukey at fastmail.fm
Wed May 26 11:08:08 MST 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:53:16 +0200 Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> don't you think it would be beneficial to integrate this with
> BibleTime, so that we can have code sharing?

Of course I did look at this, and wanted to achieve this, but had some
problems, mainly these:

1) To fulfil it's aim, I want it (the kioslave) to be as light-weight as
possible.  It would be better not to carry around the infrastructure
that BibleTime uses and needs e.g. lots all the backend classes are
overkill for this project.  I don't need, for example, to initialise
everything at startup.  Also I don't really need things like CSwordKey,
but the dependencies between modules mean I couldn't escape using them.
Because the interface is so simple (GET request in, web page out), I can
optimise a lot. I've got a mostly working program (no searching yet)
with 2500 lines of code.

2) Certain things would be quite difficult to get to work with both - it
would end up being a hack with both pieces of software, and hundreds of
#ifdefs aren't my idea of fun.  An example is the (osis,gbf,thml) to
html filters.  I need special things doing e.g. my code currently
generates anchors like this for strongs numbers in the KJV module:
these are then redirected to the user defined strongs greek module.
This is achieved differently in BibleTime - using <span> I think?

However, I am intending to make sure kio-sword complements BibleTime,
and doesn't duplicate code unnecessarily.  In particular I will never
have any method for installing modules (BibleTime's works brilliantly,
well done!).  It might also be possible to share some settings between
the two apps, or at least get kio-sword to read BibleTime's to look for
some defaults - other suggestions welcome.

I don't of any way to launch BibleTime from a web browser - on
Konqueror's about: screen, there is a link with exec:/khelpcenter, but I
can't get it to work from anywhere else yet.  Otherwise I could have a
'study verse in BibleTime' button.

Cheers,

Luke

--
"We've got lower-hanging fish to fry." (True Quotes From Induhviduals,
Scott Adams)

Luke Plant -- L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net -- www.lukeplant.me.uk