[bt-devel] kio-sword pre-release

Luke Plant spookylukey at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 2 08:36:32 MST 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:42:45 +0100 James Ots wrote:

> A few comments about the HTML generated...

> There are a few nulls embedded in it - one just before <div
> class='sword_navtop'> and the big block of html, one just after the
> big block of html, and one at the end of the html.

Thanks, I found the bug, fixed now (thanks to kio-apt and Sylvain Joyeux
- I do love open source software!)

> ks_gbfhtml.cpp uses a <font color="#800000"> tag - perhaps you could
> use a span and a class here instead.

Yep, I'll get around to this and a few other html inconsistencies. IIRC
that was for footnotes, and footnotes don't work yet anyway.

> Since konqueror is always displaying the page, you could get rid of
> the tables and use some nice css layout instead.
>
> It would be nice if the static html around the edges was a template
> file (probably in share/apps/kio_sword) so users could customise it
> without changing the code.

Yes, I've already kind of got some support for this kind of
customisation, using CSS.  Specify 'simplepage' in your settings, and
modify the the kio_sword.css file.  You don't have to modify the system
one, just copy $KDEDIR/share/apps/kio_sword/kio_sword.css to
~/.kde/share/apps/kio_sword and modify.

If simplepage is set, the HTML produced is <body class='simplepage'><div
class='simplepage>[page]</div></body>, so you can use contextual
selectors so your mods only affect the simplepage version, e.g.

body.sword_simplepage {
	background: #e0e0ff  url(/usr/share/apps/kio_sword/header_caption.png)
no-repeat top right;
	margin: 2px;
	color
}

div.sword_simplepage {
	margin-left: 0px;
	margin-right: 0px;
	margin-top: 40px;
	padding: 15px;
}

body.sword_simplepage a {
	color: blue;
    	font-weight: bold;
}

body.sword_simplepage h1,
body.sword_simplepage h2,
body.sword_simplepage h3 {
	color: #000040;
}

I'm not sure if I could do the current page design using only CSS, but
if you'd like to show me, my SVG files are in the tarball... ;-)

Thanks for all the feedback,

Luke

--
Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable
events occur with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no

Luke Plant -- L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net -- www.lukeplant.me.uk