[bt-devel] Bug (?) in the CVS of Bibletime

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:20:36 +0100

Stephen,

thank you for your comments.

> 1. Strong's numbers will not show up at all in the KJV module.  I
> checked in the "Filter" section of "Settings | Configure BibleTime" to
> see if the box for Strong's numbers was checked, and it was.

They do not appear any more because they are in the info display now.
This will be the case for all module with strongs once this is fully
implemented.
This should make the text a lot more readable, together with the display
styles.

> 2. I can't view headings, footnotes or morphologic tags.  (I don't ever
> use those anyway, but I just wanted to test them just in case)

Headings should be visible in the text. What modules does not display them?
The KJV has no headings I think. The headings won't be displayed in the text.

For footnotes and morphs: The same as for strongs. They can be viewed in the
info display. At the place of  a footnotes is a small yellow box, which
displays the footnotes as soon as the mouse over the box (you have to use the
default style atm).

> 3. Because of #1, I cannot search for Strong's numbers, or create verse
> lists based on Strong's numbers.

That will be fixed, but I can't give a date here. But before the next version,
for sure :)

Sword has a cool new search feature to search in additional markup like
Strongs, Morph code etc.
So we could say: "Search '0910 in the strongs numbers'" or "Search 'added' and
'later' in the footnotes of the module". Or we could search for "my son" in
the quotes of jesus (not sure if this would work :-)
This search feature will replace the old, ugly searching for strong number,
which wasn't clear enough for the average user.

Is that ok for you?

> The Strong's definitions do appear in the new info box, but the
> dissapear immediately after the cursor leaves the word.  To clarify,
> even though the Strong's numbers don't appear, the definition appears in
> the info box.  This is a problem for me, as I can't click on the
> Strong's number to open the definition in another window.

To make the text saty press the shift key while moving the mouse. That way you
can view / scroll the info display text.
Is viewing the strong number in a window better for you than reading it in the
info display?
We will offer to click on the strong number in the info display to open a new
window for it.

> I realize that some or all of these issues might be intended behavior
> that has to do with the new info box.  If this is the case, I would like
> to know, so that I can downgrade to the most recent version of Bibletime
> that does not have these new features.

I'm not sure if the comments above made it more clear how the feature will
look like.

Let me know what you think so we can try to find a good solution if there's
one.

> If these are intended behaviours, should I put in a RFE for a feature
> that would allow the ability to disable them?

We won't offer a feature to disable the info display.

Joachim
- --
<>< Re: deemed!