[bt-devel] Some thoughts...

Males Tomlinson bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:35:20 +0200

Brad,
Hi, I don't know what linux distribution you are using, but
the desired userfriendly front ends you are looking for are
already in use for quite some time. I use mandrake linux
9.2(the best and userfriendly by far in my opinion).

When downloading your software you get 2 types of
downloads:
The one is a source code which you must first compile and
then install (as you described).
The second is a binary package. In windows you get a
setup.exe in linux you get diffrent install packages for
diffrent linux distributions (they will state on the
download site what file to download for what linux dist).
The file extentions for install packages are .rpm and .deb.
Mandrake linux has a very user friendly installer called
"urpmi". Usually a mandrake rpm package has a ".mdk.rpm"
extention (mdk stands for mandrake). Basically all you do
is click on the downloaded package and the installer does
the rest. And just for the cherry on top, NO CLICKING NEXT,
NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, as in windows! It automatically creates
all the icons and menu entries. Oh yes it can be done :)!

And if you are fedup with bibletime and want to uninstall
it, all you do is go to "remove packages" and 3 clicks
later it's gone :)

The binaries are on the bibletime website.

Bottomline:
If you don't have mandrake linux, get it. If you have
another dist... delete it (now I have less friends :)

Anyway, linux has all that you asked for and more, you just
need to get the right dist and know what goes where.

Enjoy,
Males