[bt-devel] Some thoughts...

bc.eqed bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:36:12 -0500

Maybe I am crazy.. My installation process was a dream.. I switched from
Redhat/Fedora to Debian.. The only thing I did to get bibletime working
was type 'apt-get install bibletime' and this process not only installed
bibletime but also the required sword packages.. Grant it I clumsyly
downloaded all the pertinent sword modules and manually loaded them, but
then I found that you can load the mods using a gui inside bibletime..

I just got on this list yesterday as matter of fact, because I am
excited to see what new things are coming, and looking for places to
help out.

Newbies should use Debian (or some nice derivative Knoppix, Lindows,
Mepis,  etc.)  Installation of apps is very nice in that environment
compared to the dependancy issues with RPMs.  Just my opionion.

for the record, the command
'./configure --prefix=<your KDE directory>'
gives you flexibility, you can have any number of KDE Directories (3.14,
3.15, 3.2 and 3.x)  This is a good thing.

If you need gui installation there are a number of apt-get front end
tools.  Many nice, some not so nice.

personally, I think the installation process will take care of itself.
I bet Fedora, SUSE, Mandrake, etc will eventually follow the Debian
apt-get model and then this would be a moot point.

Windows installation will look crazy.. having to find the exe, yuck.