[bt-devel] Packages of 1.3?

Steven P. Ulrick bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:08:10 -0500

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:12:52 +0100
AJ MacLeod <aj@macleod-group.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:17:19 -0500
> "Steven P. Ulrick" <spu@faith4miracle.org> wrote:
>
> > > 2. export KDEDIR=/usr   (or your KDE dir)
> > I ran this, no apparent problems: meaning that there was absolutely
> > no output, so I assume it worked :)
> >
> > > 3. export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH (you may replace /bin with your
> > > KDE dir)
>
> > After following the above steps, I started Bibletime.  No icons.
> > I then logged out and logged back in.  No icons.
> > I then rebooted.  No icons.
>
> I believe these steps are (in some cases) necessary before compiling
> BT, not before running it.  Have you tried just getting a source
> tarball (rather than CVS), uncompressing it, carrying out the above
> steps and then going through the compilation steps?
>
> AJ

Hello, AJ :)
Yes, I tried compiling a source tarball of the latest stable release of
Bibletime, 1.3
Please see my recent thread about my problems compiling the CVS of
Bibletime.  In those messages, you will see references to my having
attempted to compile the source tarball of the the latest stable release
of Bibletime.  I only mentioned the attempted compilation of the source
tarball in the same message as the compilation of the CVS, because both
crashed with the exact same error message.

For your convenience, here is the link to the error message that I got
when I tried to compile the CVS of Bibletime:

http://www.faith4miracle.org/bibletime-make_error.tar.bz2

Here is the error message that I get when I try to compile the source
tarball of the latest stable Bibletime release:

http://www.faith4miracle.org/bibletime-make-2.tar.bz2

I repeat, the error message referred to in the above link is essentially
the same as the one contained in the error message that I got while
compiling the latest CVS (a fresh copy, I may add)

In closing, I have tried to compile the latest source tarball, and the
compiling failed during the "make" command.

By the way, I just checked both of the above referenced error messages
in "kompare" for KDE.  They were exactly identical except for the name
of the directory the code was compiled from.
Example:
In the error message for my attempt at compiling Bibletime from the CVS,
it says the following "/home/steve/CVS/bibletime"
In the error message for my attempt at compiling Bibletime from the
latest stable tarball, it says the following
"/home/steve/Archives/bibletime-1.3"

Here is the different lines from the failed compilation of the CVS of
Bibletime:
 make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/steve/CVS/bibletime/bibletime/backend'
source='cswordmodulesearch.cpp' object='cswordmodulesearch.o' libtool=no
\ depfile='.deps/cswordmodulesearch.Po'
tmpdepfile='.deps/cswordmodulesearch.TPo' \ depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh
../../admin/depcomp \ g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..
-I/usr/include/kde -I/usr/lib/qt-3.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/usr/include/sword  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT
-DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -Wall -I../../
-I../../bibletime  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall
-pedantic -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500
-D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2
-Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions
-fno-check-new -fno-common  -c -o cswordmodulesearch.o `test -f
'cswordmodulesearch.cpp' || echo './'`cswordmodulesearch.cpp

Here are the corresponding lines from the failed compilation of the
latest stable source tarball of Bibletime:
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/steve/Archives/bibletime-1.3/bibletime/backend'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include/kde
-I/usr/lib/qt-3.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  -I/usr/include/sword
-DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_COMPAT
-DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -Wall -I../../ -I../../bibletime
-Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -pedantic -W
-Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE
-Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -Wformat-security
-Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common
-MT cswordmodulesearch.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/cswordmodulesearch.Tpo" \
  -c -o cswordmodulesearch.o `test -f 'cswordmodulesearch.cpp' || echo
'./'`cswordmodulesearch.cpp; \
then mv ".deps/cswordmodulesearch.Tpo" ".deps/cswordmodulesearch.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/cswordmodulesearch.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi

Just to make sure, I downloaded the source tarball of Sword 1.5.6 (I had
been running my last successful build of the CVS of Sword.  I had just
never got around to getting the latest stable release when I found out
that Bibletime CVS was no longer dependent on Sword CVS.  I got the
exact same error messages as before.

Anyway, that's all I have for now :)
Steven P. Ulrick