[bt-devel] Almost successful RPM building attempt :)

Steven P. Ulrick bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 2 May 2003 16:14:32 -0500

Hello, Everyone :)
I'm just practicing on making RPM's for the next release of Bibletime by
trying to make one out of the CVS build.
When I run rpmbuild -ba bibletime.spec, I get the following error:
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,g-w,o-w .
+ tar jxvf '%{SOURCE2}'
tar (child): %{SOURCE2}: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.51181 (%prep)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.51181 (%prep)

If I comment out the entire section of the spec file that was being
performed when the error occured, like in the following quote:

%setup -q
#tar jxvf %{SOURCE2}
#if [ %{ostype} = "Mandrake" ] ; then
# %if %build_menus
#  #Icons for Mandrake menu system
#  tar jxvf %{SOURCE1}
# %endif
# export KDEDIR=/usr QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
#elif [ %{ostype} = "SuSE" ] ; then
# export KDEDIR=/opt/kde3 QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
#else
#	echo "Using $KDEDIR as KDE directory";
#	echo "Using $QTDIR as QT directory";
#	echo "If the directories are not correct please set them using
#	\"export KDEDIR=<KDE directory> QTDIR=<QT directory>\"" sleep 5
#fi

things flow along smoothly for quite some time, until the build crashes
with the following error:

+ cat
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-compress
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip /usr/bin/strip
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-static-archive /usr/bin/strip
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-comment-note /usr/bin/strip
/usr/bin/objdump
Processing files: bibletime-1.3-1
error: File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/share/config/bt-printing
error: File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/bin/bibletime
error: File must begin with "/":
@RPM_PREFIX@/share/applnk/Applications/*
error: File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/share/apps/bibletime/*
error: File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/share/icons/*

RPM build errors:
    File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/share/config/bt-printing
    File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/bin/bibletime
    File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/share/applnk/Applications/*
    File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/share/apps/bibletime/*
    File must begin with "/": @RPM_PREFIX@/share/icons/*

As this was just an experiment, I just ran "make distclean" on my CVS
copy of Bibletime, renamed my Bibletime CVS directory from "bibletime"
to "bibletime-1.3", did "tar -cf bibletime-1.3.tar", and then did "bzip2
bibletime-1.3.tar"  I copied the spec file to "/usr/src/redhat/SPECS",
and copied the source to "/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES" and then ran
"rpmbuild -ba bibletime.spec" from the directory with the spec file in
it.

Please find the full "bibletime.spec" file at the following location:
http://www.faith4miracle.org/bibletime.spec

In closing, I just want to be ready when the time comes that you
actually need the RPM for Red Hat 9 :)

Thanks in advance for your help, and for the opportunity to help you on
this :)
Steven P. Ulrick