[bt-devel] Bibeltime beta 4 bugs

Lamar Owen bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:37:51 -0500

On Thursday 23 January 2003 00:27, Brook Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 09:08 pm, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Good.  Does the automation still involve configure, or is it in a more
> > spec-centric mode?

> I'm not sure I understand. I use a little awk some perl to auto grab some
> info and stuff into variables for the spec. The rest is passing variable to
> configure. I have really optimized this for mandrake. It should build on
> other systems also however.

Ok, let me illustrate.  J Random User downloads the (singular) source RPM. JRU
then executes 'rpmbuild --rebuild bibletime-x.y.z-r.src.rpm'  Or, JRU
downloads the tarball and executes 'rpmbuild -ta bibletime-x.y.z.tar.gz' --
but this requires a single spec file to be found in the entire tarball.
Either way, rpmbuild will parse the spec file macros before executing any
shell scripts in the spec file -- those macros need to be defined before
configure is ever run.  These scripts of yours: any way to run them within a
macro definition?

The RPM rebuilds, with OS name, version, and file locations automagically
inserted as necessary.  JRU installs the built binary RPM and is running
Bibletime in minutes.

Currently, one downloads the tarball, executes ./configure with the OS
version, etc, specified on the configure command line.  The spec file is
picked up, and then an rpmbuild -ba is executed, which reruns ./configure
anyway.  Double work.   IMHO.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio