[bt-devel] Can't get Bibletime to run properly...

Bibletime bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 15:03:55 +1000

I know that this is supposed to be a developer's list, but I need some help
getting bibletime to run.

I have a Red Hat 7.3 workstation and I have firstly downloaded
bibletime-1.2.1.tar.bz2 and followed the instructions for installation. I
also downloaded Sword and installed it and the KJVlite module and unzipped it
into /usr/share/sword.

I then downloaded bibletime-doc-1.2.1.tar.bz2 and installed it.

However, I still couldn't get it to run.

By this time the Red Hat 7.3 RPMs (bibletime-1.2.1-1.rh73.i386.rpm and
bibletime-doc-1.2.1-1.rh73.noarch.rpm) had been released and so I ran a "make
uninstall" and then installed the RPMs. While the KJVlite module had already
been installed, I re-installed it again and started Bibletime.

On startup, I get:

Chapter 7. No modules installed!
There are no installed Sword modules!

Does anyone know why this is hapenning?

Now in complete frustration, I have downloaded the Gnomesword RPM and tried to
install it:

rpm -ivh gnomesword-0.7.3-7.3.2.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        libsword.so.1   is needed by gnomesword-0.7.3-7.3.2

It seems that Linux has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to be as user-friendly as
Windows.

Regards,
Brad