[bt-devel] namespace problems

David White bt-devel@crosswire.org
21 Oct 2002 19:27:56 +1000

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 07:49, Nikolay Igotti wrote:
>  Sure, something like this:
> const QString& ResourseManager::getToolTip(QString& key) and call it like
> this:
> ResourseManager::getToolTip("mainMenu::file::quit")

yes, this seems reasonable. Although, you could just have an extern
global std::map to do the job...

std::map<QString,QString> tooltips;

>  BT is very C++ heavyweight (templates, STL) and add yet another C++
> feature where it's not needed isn't a good idea.

BibleTime is written in C++. What's wrong with it using the features of
the language it's written in? Namespaces or namespace-like features are
common in almost all modern programming languages (Perl, Python, C#,
Java, to name a few), and I don't see any problem using them. Even Sword
has gone toward using namespaces recently.

For truly advanced C++ features, which do not have good platform
support, such as partial specialization of templates, I can understand
not using them. Namespaces are a fairly basic feature.

-David.