[bt-devel] Mandrake, kde3, spec's, and rpm's.

Lamar Owen bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 28 May 2002 00:57:34 -0400

On Monday 27 May 2002 11:59 pm, Brook Humphrey wrote:
> We do it this way only for the rpm's at the bibletime sourceforge page. I
> understand the issues of both and that static linking is a pain for the
> distros as I've been on the mandrake dev team since about mandrake 5.3 or
> so. The reason for this at the bibletime page is to make it easy to install
> the rpm's could be put up both static and dynamic.

[OT] I'm actually still running a Mandrake 5.3 system as a server..... :-)

> Submit your changed spec file. I do much better when I can actually see the
> thing. Hope my explanations help some. Also I'm still learning about spec
> writing even though I've been doing it for 3 or 4 years now. Allot of the
> specs I do are for servers and differ from this because I only build them
> for mandrake. After thinking about it this is the only package I do for
> multiple distro's so that Might explain a few other things.

Multiple distro packaging is difficult.  I'll submit changes possibly next
weekend -- it will be that long before I can do much more with it.  Unles
something changes between now and then. :-)  And, I'm still learning a few
new tricks daily with this stuff.  Although I kindof jumped off the deep end
when I took on the PostgreSQL RPMs.... :-)

I did up a set of RPMs for Great Bridge for PostgreSQL 7.0.3 a couple of years
back.  They needed Caldera eServer 2.3, SuSE 6.4 and 7.0, and Red Hat 5.2,
6.2, and 7.0 RPM's.  I think they assumed the Red Hat RPM's would be
available for Mandrake too.  Caldera was by far the most different, with SuSE
being very different -- but later SuSE (>7.2) has been much easier to deal
with.  I have a couple of SuSE 7.3/SPARC machines (a Sun Ultra 30 and an
Ultra 5), so I can actually test the build there as well.

Anyway, I'll talk less and work more, hopefully.

I'll let you know something later in the week.

Many thanks to all for Bibletime, once again!
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio