[bt-devel] trouble with ./configure on Linux Mandrake 8.2

Steven Boothe bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 21 May 2002 10:41:37 -0700

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 05:54, Martin Gruner wrote:
> > Martin, thank you very much for taking the moment to ask. Your request
> > prompted me to attempt and see what I could learn from this file too. For
> > your reference it appears that the problem is centered around these lines
> > in particular:

> > configure:2168: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
> > gcc: argument to `-V' is missing
> > configure:2171: $? = 1
> > configure:2197: checking for C compiler default output
> > configure:2200: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
> > gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory
>
> Ok. I have the cpp0 file here:
> ./lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4/cpp0
> ./lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.4/cpp0
>
> Looks like something is missing from your system's gcc installation.
> From you list I'd suggest that you are lacking the
> libgcc2.96-*-2mdk file. Could that be the one? You have the file for gcc3.0
> though.
>
> Martin

Martin, thank you again for your help. This appears to be turning into pretty
messy situation.

For the record: Yesterday, upon finding that my installation of gcc did appear
to be faulty, I created a simple hello.cpp program to test my compiler
replicated the same error.

At this point I could also see that this issue would be appropriately followed
up with the mailing lists for my distribution: Mandrake 8.2. I have been
trying to subscribe to two of those lists since yesterday, but have curiously
so far been unable to.

Finally, as Martin points out, it would appear that I am missing an rpm for
libgcc-2.9x. However, querying both my database of installable rpms, and
those rpms listed on the Mandrake mirror reveals that the only rpm available
for libgcc is the one I currently have installed.

If there are any other Mandrake 8.2 users out there, I would be very
interested in reading if your experiences are different.

Thanks again to all who took the time to read this far.

Blessings and peace,

Steven