[bt-devel] trouble with ./configure on Linux Mandrake 8.2

Steven Boothe bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 20 May 2002 09:41:31 -0700

Hello all;

Please forgive my question about something so basic. I'm a rooky when it comes
to compiling my own software.

I am getting this ambiguous error when trying to run ./configure for "Sword
1.5.3". I sent a message to the list yesterday and so far no one has yet
responded. Maybe there is someone over here that has some suggestions or
ideas as to what I can do to get over this hurdle.

Any help is tremendously appreciated. As is anyone who takes the time to even
read this far. Thank you so much.

Here is the output of ./configure from my command-line:
(Note: I get the same error if I 'su' to root level priviledge.)

[steven@poretz sword]$ ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot
create executables
[steven@poretz sword]$

As well as the output of the following commands:

[steven@poretz sword]$ uname -a
Linux poretz 2.4.18-6mdk #1 Fri Mar 15 02:59:08 CET 2002 i686 unknown
[steven@poretz sword]$ rpm -qa | grep gcc
gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.4-2mdk
gcc-2.96-0.76mdk
gcc-c++-2.96-0.76mdk
libgcc3.0-3.0.4-2mdk
[steven@poretz sword]$

Any help would be very appreciated.

Many many thanks in advance.

Steven
P.S. WOW this project has come a long way. Heaps of blessings on all who
contributed to get ThML importing for the documents at the CCEL. May your
continuing efforts be just as and even more fruitful!