[bt-devel] KDE 3.0 / Mandrake 8.2

Brook Humphrey bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 8 May 2002 19:36:44 -0700

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 07:11 pm, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 09:49 pm, Brook Humphrey wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 May 2002 06:39 pm, Steven wrote:
> > > Has anyone successfully installed Bibletime 1.2 for KDE 3.0 on Mandrake
> > > 8.2 yet?
> > >
> > > Can someone comment on whether I can install the Suse rpm's?
>
> Yes, I can comment.  No, you shouldn't -- SuSE is substantially different
> from Mandrake.
>
> > > P.S. Wow this project has come a long way.
>
> That it has.
>
> > I'll be working on kde3 rpm's soon for mandrake8.2 but kde3 is not stable
> > enough yet.
>
> Introduction time:
>
> I'm Lamar Owen, and I package the RPMs for the PostgreSQL Global
> Development Group.  I'm also an ordained Baptist minister, and have used
> Bibletime since 0.24 days.  Getting the Websters Unabridged was a literal
> Godsend!
>
> Currently, I am using 1.2beta2 on RedHat 7.3 (KDE3).  All works well thus
> far. I rebuilt from the source RPM with some minor spec file edits.  For
> your edification my spec is attached.  This spec is for 1.2beta2.  Editing
> of prefix low in the spec file is necessary on RH 7.3.  I've not rebuilt
> 1.2 release as yet, since 1.2beta2 is working pretty well for me, and my
> time has been at a premium for the last two weeks.

Yes this is great the reason for the problems with mandrake and kde 3 is th
nonstandard locations.

> Brook, I have some ideas about the spec file regarding the configuration
> parameters.  There is a way of getting defines from the RPM command line;
> there is also a way of getting some of the information you are %defineing
> from the environment.  I'd be glad to help out.
Thanks I whould apriciate it and 've been planing on going through and
cleaning it up some anyway.

> One quick question, though -- what is the technical reason for statically
> linking sword in, rather than a requires on sword of a particular version
> being installed as a .so?

It was so that people could just download one rpm and install and forget about
it. Most windows users are not happy or comfortable with trying to fiind lib
this or whatever that just to make the rpm run.

I've also been planing on changing the post install and uninstall scripts to
make all the extra files only if they don't exist. This way bibletime whould
not conflict with gnomesword os the sword rpm's.

--
                                      Brook Humphrey