[bt-devel] Re: Dusplay bug - was Re: Typographical errors in handbook

Joachim Ansorg bt-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:43:24 +0100

Dear Fred,

thank you for all your bug-searching about Unicode fonts.

> [fonts]
> standard=bitstream cyberbit,14,0,22,50,1
> unicode=helvetica,11,0,22,50,0
>
> I changed it to read
>
> [fonts]
> standard=helvetica,11,0,22,50,0
> unicode=bitstream cyberbit,14,0,22,50,1
>
> now bibletime loads but in the font configure dialog is see
>
> standard
>
> Bitstream cyberbit
>
> iso-10646-1

This is really strange. I tried to find this bug but had no real success
because I tested it in my german environment and even set with english
english (like your desktop) but it does work in both cases.

I found a stupid bug which may cause your problem, but I'm not really sure
about this. Can you please update your CVS of BibleTime and try again with
this?

> 1.    Either i misinterpreted the instructions
>
>       in the dialog, or the tags for standard and unicode
>
>       are reversed in the dialog from what they should be.

On my side they are not reversed, but this may be a thing with translations.
Does the update fix this?

> 2.    Is this setting really necessary?  Could the enabling
>       of unicode be automatic?  The main use I see for the selection is for
>       the case where a module being displayed is an
>       iso-8859-2 through whatever encoding.  If a document is
>       iso-10646-1, X should be able to select the correct font
>       as long as an iso-10646-1 font exists.

There are no iso8859-x modules any longer, except for iso8859-1 encoded
texts. In Sword we do only have iso8859-1 and iso10646-1 modules now.

X itself does only provide the fonts. We use Qt to query fonts.

I spend some time to find a way to set a reasonable default for the unicode
font, but it doesn't work properly. Maybe I have to ask some KDE developers,
but I'm sure it's possible because Konqueror chooses the right font for UTF-8
texts, too.

At the moment I changed BT to use KDE's methods for finding an unicode font,
but at least on my side it doesn't work properly. To test this remove the
bibletimerc config-file and start BibleTime.

> 3.    What is supposed to occur is a display window is opened that
>       requires iso-8859-1, another that requires iso-8859-2, and a
>       third that requires iso-8859-3?  (as more documents are
>       converted to iso-10646-1 this issue should go away).

AFAIK there are only iso8859-1 and iso10646-1 modules in Sword  now. The
older modules with their special font config are no longer supported, because
the new versions of them are working.

> 4.    Can we trap
>
> (BibleTime 1.1beta2) _FATAL_: QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any
> reasonable font
>     so that bibletime reverts to the default font and issues an error like
>     'font requested was not fount, using default font.' rather than
> crashing?

This is a message of Qt which shouldn't occur. In what cases do you get this
fatal message?

Thanks,
Joachim