[bt-devel] suggested improvements

mark lybarger bt-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:35:21 -0500

I thought I would voice a few ideas for bibletime to areas I have been
using in testing and to hopefully gain some feedback.  Please let me
know if any of these should be taken to the wiki site for a more in
depth discussion.

Thanks!
Mark

1. Custom scope range editor improvements:
	Perhaps we could re-think the current custom range edit interface?
	Here's some comments on the current interface:
	- if a custom range is selected on the "Search Text" tab such as "New
Testament", pressing the "Edit ranges" button should bring up the edit
dialog window using the selected custom range from the previous screen.
  This means the "Choose custom range", the "Define range text" as well
as "Range parsing results" should all be related to the chosen range.
	- when closing the custom range window, if i've selected a different
range for editing, say "New Testament", the opening window should
reflect the last range I was working on.  I shouldn't have to re-select it.
	- Possibly consider inproving the ability to copy a custom range.  To do
it now, I have to create a new range. Go back to the one I want to copy
and select/copy the text in the "Define range text" area, then go to my
new range, and paste the copied text in.
	- Possibly consider improving the "range definition process". Should it
be aloud to have overlaps in the range definitions when using multiple
ranges within the range? Should the UI enforce data consistancy? Such
that it could prevent a range of "rom 1:1- Rev 22:2; Gen 1:1 - Rom 16:27".

2. Choose modules tab:
	Add other options for moving the items from left (available modules) to
the left (selected modules).
		- click or double click on an item will move it to the other side.
		- drag-n-drop items between the sides (multi select would be nice)
		-
	Buttons should enable/disable when necessarry.
		- no items on the right, the right arrow s/b disabled.
		- no selected module on either side, and the appropriate button is disabled.

3. Search Result tab:
	From the entries found tab, it would be nice to be able to somehow bring
up the verse in context.  Maybe a right click option to open the verse
which brings it up in the main work area. I can drag-n-drop it onto one
of the open modules in the main working area, it doesn't seem intuitive.

4. Main working area:
	If I've maximized a module, and then open another module, my maximize is
taken away. Once I maximize something, I should have to minimize it :).
  Maybe this deals slightly with MDI.  I like the way KDevelop handles
this with tabs.