[bt-devel] Re: [Fwd: Re: Arabic font and where font bigger then 64]

Troy A. Griffitts bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 12:26:39 -0700

Hey Fred, Efata, and Bibletime folks.  Thanks for the locale!  I would
love to include an Indonesian locale for sword.  There is missing
information from this locale that will prevent it from working in the
engine (that is why I'm CC: bt-devel, so there will be an understanding
of what might be a complete future locale submission).

Locales require a few things.  Let's step thru the German locale:

excerpts from de.conf:
________________________

[Meta]
Name=de
Description=German

#The above information is used to define the locale.  They should be
#fairly obvious.  Name should be taken from a standard abbrev, probably
#returned from echo $LANG.  Please understand that this, and all entries
#are case sensitive.

#The following entries are translation strings for anything you might
#want.  REQUIRED are the book names of the Bible.  Other things might be
#option name, value, tip, translations, or any text returned from the
#engine.  It may not work right now, but if it doesn't, please post a
#message that you found a constant string in the engine not being
#tranlated.

[Text]
Genesis=1. Mose
Exodus=2. Mose
Leviticus=3. Mose

# <snipped rest of book names>

[Book Abbrevs]
1 C=46
1 CHRONICLES=13
1 CORINTHIANS=46
1 JN=62

# These are the abbreviations for each book and are REQUIRED for the
# locale to work correctly in the engine.  They are actually more than
# just abbreviations; they tell the parser how to incrementally parse
# versekey text.  Notice that 1 Chronicles would come, alphabetically
# before 1 corinthians.  The above entries say: book 46 (1 Corinthians)
# has precidence up thru "1 C", any character beyond that will
# unabiguate the entry anyway, so the default 1 CHRONICLES or 1
# CORINTHIANS entries would take over from there.

# IMPORTANT:
#
# 1) There MUST be at least 1 abbreviation entry for each book name
# comprised of a toupper (uppercase function) of the entire string
# EXACTLY as you have translated it in the [Text] section.
#
# 2) The English abbreviation entries MUST remain in the locale.
# The precidence entries may be tweeked, especially if you find them
# interferring with your precidence entries, but the entired book name--
# as stated in the first requirement above, must remain for English book
# names.
#
# Following are the REQUIRED entries from our excerpt book names
# above.

GENESIS=1
EXODUS=2
LEVITICUS=3

# <snip rest of english abbrevs>

1. MOSE=1
2. MOSE=2
3. MOSE=3

_________________________

That's it for requirements.  Tuning your locale can be important for the
user experience.  Many [Book Abbrevs] entries may be added to assign
precidence if, for example, you find you are getting taken to the wrong
entries from text like: "Ma 1:1" (would be Malachi by default because of
alphabetical precidence, but might want Matthew or Mark).

You can test your locale with the sword/tests/parsekey test program and
try different strings to see how they parse.

Hope this is helpful.  Let me know if you need any more info.  Thanks
for the HELP!!!

	-Troy.