[bt-devel] the long awaited KDE BibleInstaller in the planning!

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 08:10:59 +0200

> I dont think it will make a difference to the end user other than we
> will need to take care what order we make the depends.  i.e. should
> bible time depend on the installer or is it an optional componant that
> depends on bibletime or should it depend on sword?  This will probably
> become obvious as the source develops.

Well, imo it should be part of the bibletime package, so you always also have
it. I think that makes sense, because probably all users will use it. =)

> The connection tools are all in the distributions.  We just need to
> figure outhow to call them.

That would be possible, but not the best solution. We could either use the KDE
classes for it, or wait for the integration in sword. Troy said to me
yesterday that he is evaluating the use of curl (curl.sf.net) for sword.
Looks promising.

> Lets get the installer working before we make it elaborate.  Eventually
> we should probably support open ssh even if crosswire does not have
> plans to support it now.

Sure. Good idea. We may also offer support for firewalls etc. later, though
that would probably have to be integrated in sword also. Once Troy has set up
the basic functionality there, I believe we may also contribute there as
well, improving the install backend in sword for our use -- other frontends
will automatically benefit from it. That was the main idea behind this,
sharing the work.

> The UI for InstallManager in sword could be a starting point

It might be, but I don't really like the way modules are selected. David will
know how to do this best, he is an UI expert IIRC.

Martin