[bt-devel] sword iso

Troy A. Griffitts bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:53:02 -0700

> Well, actually, I was considering a completely different tack.  That is:
> 1.)	Determine what distribution we have;
> 2.)	use 'rpm -Uvh' to install the appropriate bibletime RPM.

That's great if you have rpm's to handle all cases.  Actually, loki's
tool supports installing rpm and deb packages directly, if that is the
approach you would like to take.

> Otherwise a statically linked binary would be needed; and then we'd need one
> for KDE 3 and one for KDE2.  Possibly linked to an older glibc.

Actually, the .tar.gz files are noarch files that should not contain any
architecture specific binaries.  The loki tool examines a system and
installs the appropriate binary found in: bin/<architecture>/<glibc>/
So one set of packages for all systems can be created, and then any
specific platforms that you want to support can have binaries available
under the bin/ directory.  This removes all required knowledge of to
what system you are installing.

>>Well, the current CD setup will install an older release of bibletime.
>
> Yes, the positively archaic 0.24, IIRC.  That's how I got my first exposure to
> BibleTime -- and the current version is not just head and shoulders above it,
> but waist, trunk, and thighs.

:)  Actually, whoever updated the bibletimebase.tar.gz didn't update the
setup.xml file also to reflect the version.  I think it installs 1.0
:)

>>Our next CD should be wrapped up sometime this week Lord willing.  If
>>the bibletime setup is not updated, it will still install the older
>>version of bibletime.  It's not crucial for this release, but we'd like
>>to get something in place that can be easily updated with newer releases
>>of BibleTime.
>

> Yes, I understand.  My background prefers RPM format binaries; but that's not
> a showstopper if we can have enough room for binary tarballs for the target
> systems -- KDE3 versus KDE2 and the rest.
>
> RPM's can easily be installed; not quite so easy to build, but easy to
> install.

I'm excited for anyone to own this.  If I'm gonna have to maintain it in
the future, I'd prefer the .tar.gz setup, as I'm no systems/packaging
expert.  If you feel that you want to take this responsibility yourself,
please do it how it seems best in your eyes.  My MAIN goal is for there
to be a BibleTime app available from the setup and that it works :)

	Thanks again!

		-Troy.