[bt-devel] Fwd: [sword-devel] General Book Support

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:06:38 +0100

> > Yes. First i thought of a combination of ckeychooserwidgets like in the
> > biblekeychooser. The new chooser will place as many of these as the GBS
> > module has levels. Then you can select the key by choosing each level
> > first. and you have the additional arrows and "fxbutton" for each level.
> > ;) This has the advantage to take only few space, unlike a treelist
> > would. My proposal: create a new chooser like I described above. And we
> > should have an additional button "direct access" or similar. If you press
> > it, a new small window with the whole tree will open and let you
> > view/access the whole tree directly. The treekeychooser widget will be a
> > bit more complicated that the existing ones.
>
> Hm, I think this isn't better.
> Think about a book with more than 5 or six levels. This would add 5 or six
> keychooser parts. IMHO this is too much and not very intuitive.

Well. Most books will probably have 3 or 4 levels anyway, 6 should be the
maximum. I still find this very practical and helpful, even with 6 levels,
and will still take up less space than a treelist.
A possibility would be popup menus, but that would require you going through
all levels if you want to set a new key....

Imo we should implement this new keychooser I described above, as well as a
treelist on the left side as you mentioned, which is hidden in a collapsed
toolbar by default. Once a user wants it he clicks 1x to open the toolbar and
then sees the fully expanded tree on the left side. He can also collapse the
top-toolbar if he doesn't want the keychooser.

Any other ideas? We need to do this right and thoroughly, because this is our
strength over the commercial software.

Martin