[bt-devel] Problems logging into CVS

Lamar Owen bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:48:27 -0400

On Friday 09 August 2002 08:34 pm, spu wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 11:09, Lamar Owen wrote:
> I update frequently to several CVS repositories, including sword and
>
> > bibletime, using the following  script:

>    I do have a question about the script that appears above.  I created
> a directory called /usr/local/mirror/development/bible and saved the
> above mentioned script with a .sh extension, made sure it had execute
> privelidges, and ran it thusly: ./bibletime.sh, with the following
> result:

> /usr/local/mirror/development ~
> ./bibletime.sh: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token  `jackit'
> ./bibletime.sh: line 3: `                   jackit vnc'

> Does anyone know how I can get this to work for me?  If not, please send
> me information that will help me learn how to update without loggging

The script was only meant as an example.  You would need to use something
similar, but not identical.  I split the one line with a \ line continuation
character, but in my script that I run it's all one line, without the \.

All you need to do is to get a good checkout once, then cd to wherever that
checkout is and run 'cvs update -d -P' (you can use the compression settings
too -- 'cvs -z3 update -d -P' is one option).  My script handles a bunch of
CVS trees that I have, not just bibletime.  I keep PostgreSQL, JACK, VNC,
ALSA, BibleTime, Sword, OpenACS/dotLRN, AOLserver, etc updated since I do
some development with each.  The OpenACS/dotLRN trees are the largest, with a
couple of dozen directories under 'openacs4'.  Much easier to run a single
command than to cd into each dir and cvs update.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio