[bt-devel] Problems logging into CVS

Lamar Owen bt-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:19:05 -0400

On Friday 09 August 2002 11:54 am, Brook Humphrey wrote:

> I'm sorry I'm at a loss it has to be a problem with your red hat. Thats why
> I quit using them a long time ago. Sometimes mandrake has thing that don't
> work quite right but still work but red hat ships stuff that is flat out
> broke.

I'm using Red Hat 7.3 and don't see the problem.  I'm not going to comment
about Red Hat shipping broken stuff, since I'm a member of their beta team
that help QA each release.  My membership on the team isn't NDA material, but
everything else I know about it is, so please don't ask. :-)

However, I did the login and checkout phases manually, with a 'cvs update -d
-P' every so often, or whenever I want to try anything out.

I had the opposite experience when going from Mandrake 5.3 to Mandrake 6.0 --
the transition broke my building of PostgreSQL RPM's, and I couldn't live
with that -- so I went to Red Hat 6.0, which worked fine.  But those are just
two releases out of many -- each distribution has matured significantly since
Mandrake was just 'Red Hat + KDE' originally.  But that's just my experience,
YMMV, etc, all apply.  But I'm not going to put Mandrake down the road
because of my limited experience.

Having said all that, I am working on getting things to build on the last Red
Hat Public beta, Limbo, which is gcc 3.x based.  SWORD 1.5.3 won't build
there at all due to the now-standard C++ compiler -- I'm told the sword CVS
will work, but I haven't tried it yet on my Limbo machines.  And my Red Hat
7.3 notebook has to remain 7.3 for awhile, since I use some non-open software
on it that isn't yet available in a gcc-3.x compatible form.

BTW, the Limbo beta is quite solid.  It looks quite different, too -- but
you'll have to try it for yourself to see if you like the new look or not.
Some won't; some will.  Both groups will be vociferous in their position.
And life goes on.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio