[bt-devel] hyperlinks in display windows

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:04:39 +0200

Hi Joachim,

> > Yes, it is! The same could be done with footnotes. But the problem is
> > that there may be entries which are too long for a tooltip, esp. for
> > strongs. Maybe we should have a config section where users can define
> > their preferred OT and NT strong's dictionary. When the mouse moves over
> > a word with strong's, the tooltip will be displayed. When clicking on it,
> > the strong's dictionary will jump there if it is already open or be
> > opened there if it is not.
> > BTW that way would eliminate the need for the "show footnotes" and "show
> > strong's" button. They can always be displayed.
>
> How could we do that? Do think about putting the hyperlink to the strong
> number directly on the word?

Yes, that is what I want. Do you think there is a better way to handle it? I
prefer this to adding a <strongnumber> like hyperlink after the word. And a
strongnumber may also cover more than 1 word which would be visible in my
proposal.

> How could we do this with footnotes? Remember, footnotes are not
> hyperlinks.

Yes, but strong`s aren't either. I am not sure how footnotes should be
handled. Just inserting them in the text is not the best solution.
Imo there are 2 possibilities:
a) display them like I described above (ToolTip / separate window)
b) split the display window in 2 parts with the upper one containing the text
and the lower one containing the footnotes.

I am sure all of you have thoughts about a strongs / footnotes should be
handled in a bible program. Please let us know!

Martin