[bt-devel] Text encoding question new kde

Chris Little bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 07:43:18 -0700

> the english docbook file is already encoded ok, The .de, .it,
> and .cs files all five this error message.
>
> How do i figure out what the existing encoding is?
> I already know how to convert to utf-8 once the encoding is known.

This is just a guess, but .de and .it are probably in Latin-1/ISO
8859-1.  This might be identified as codepage 1252 (Windows) or 819
(IBM).  That's used for most Western European languages.

.cs is probably in Latin-2/ISO 8859-2/Codepage 1250, which is used for
most Eastern European languages.

--Chris