[bt-devel] doc changes

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 20:34:07 -0400

It looks like there is enough information that I need to look at the new
KDE method of doing documentation.
I will need to get mandrake 8.1 installed before I can test everything
out.

>From the I18 translation How To, it seems that the macros to generate
the po files used in the translation of documentation are in the latest
version of kde.

The sgml files are in the same form and use the same dtd as our docbook
files.  The only change (i think) is that some structures that are not
allowed in sgml won't work.  This has already been enforced by the
latest dtd.

I think it works like this

en.sgml
otherlanguage.sgml

pass through macro

po files

pass through macro

otherlanguage.sgml

pass through kdb2html

otherlanguage.html

so i think as far as our file structure we would have some new .po files
and the file extension for the docbook files changes.

The only reason for changing the file extension is so that they can be
edited by emacs with the psgml extension.

The links in the sourceforge repository actually link to the .html files
so the ability to read them should still be ok.

There was mention that kde help center was being rewritten to parse sgml
files internally, but I don't think this eliminates the use of kdb2html
as it is useful to find bugs in the sgml code.

I will try to get the new mandrake disks this week, once I have them I
will see if the advertised techniques work and give a report.  I will
not make any more changes to the CVS until we discuss the results of
this experiment, and understand the effects of the changes.

Fred Saalbach