[bt-devel] Documents status

Fred Saalbach bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 21:47:30 -0500

Martin Gruner wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> today I revised the Makefile.am system to support the new doc system. I hope
> I made it right. Just to be sure: the only things that need to be installed
> are the $lang/$part/html/*.html and *.png files, and they will go into one
> directory. The common files are already installed in KDE, right?
YES,
> The .pot and .po files don't need to be installed, do they?
NO - only the html files that are the result of the po2xml and the
parser

> Could you please give me the exact commandline that is needed to
> a) update the pot files from xml

xml2pot ENGLISH.xml >ENGLISH.pot

.xml can be anything here as can .pot, this command does not check the
file extention.

> b) update the po files from pot

copy the .pot to the desired directory and change the .pot to .po, there
is no difference until the translator starts to work on it.  I have not
tried to get kbable to create the .po from the .pot files, but I think
this is one of it's features.

> c) create the html files from po

po2xml english.docbook otherLanguage.po >otherLanguage.docbook
The above is followed by a xml parser such as
meinproc index.docbook
Only the index.docbook file needs to be run through the parser, the
others are called by this file.

> I want the "make handbook" command to create html and maybe a make po command
> to update for the translators. Therefore I need these commands.

You will need to trap errors, for example if kbable translates some of
the tag contents to the other language the parser will dump text to the
terminal like

[fks00@localhost po]$ meinproc index.docbook
/home/fks00/BT-docs17nov01/docs/de/install/po/inst-sources.docbook:34:
error: xmlParseStartTag: invalid element name
> Bevor Sie versuchen, Klinge zu kompilieren, können Sie < Dateinamen

I spent a lot of time this weekend doing a rough translation of the
German documents.  It is not a very good translation but did give me a
chance to find some parsing errors in the english that caused problems
for the po2xml command.  This would have prevented production of the
otherlanguage.html file even though the english passed through the
parser just fine.

All of the files that should exist in the final version of the documents
are in the CVS now.  I still need to start modifing the installation
instructions.  I should have some time to work on this shortly.

> You can take a look at the bibletime/bibletime/docs/gen_am.sh file which
> creates the Makefile.am's. You could also please delete all unnecessary files
> from cvs once you are ready to do this.

Unnecessary is probably a matter of opinion here.  As we have been
linking the cvs document files to the sourceforge documentation, I thing
these files need to contain the /common directory unless one of the
programmers knows how to create a relative symbolic link in there place.

All of the existing picture files were copied and placed in the proper
directory after replacing all of the _ with -.  I did not put pictures
here unless they were customized for the target language.

I have removed all of the other files that I think are no longer
needed.  Please look the file structure over and let me know what you
think

*
I did look at the bibletime/bibletime/docs/gen_am.sh.  I am not enough
of a programmer to understand it well, however i think only the
~/docs/language/doc/html files need to be made into the installed file
set for bibletime.  I think this is what the script does.

> thank you!
>
> Martin

Best Regards
Fred