[bt-devel] RE: UTF-8 and new module classes

Tim Brodie bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 24 May 2001 09:05:35 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Gruner" <mg.pub@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [bt-devel] RE: UTF-8 and new module classes

Just a thought...

When someone does hardcopy publishing, part of the mandate of the
publisher is the selection of the look and feel of the document.
The publisher selects paper, fonts, art, etc which becomes as
much an important part of the document as the word content.

Is it not also in our mandate to provide a BT "look and feel",
which is part of the publishing of the modules?  What I mean by
this is we could select a specific unicode set for each of the
modules such that all of the modules 'work' together and give
an artistically pleasing result.

If the end-user decides to install other fonts and select them
(instead of our defaults), the facility is present in BT.  But
the user really should feel this unnecessary.  The only real
adjustment that would typically be desired would be the point
size, as the most common desktop variable will be the screen size.

Example, if we present a non-latin module, most end-users will
not have a font that will necessarily present the module in
a pleasing way.  We should provide the necessary font so that
this module doen't look out of character with the rest of the
modules installed.

The reasoning: I am not a greek, but I use the greek modules for
study and so the fonts are not on my system.  Or I am studying
a German text but my machine is not really set up for a german
locale and thus doesn't present the text well.  Why should I
(as an end-user) care about all of this when really all I want
to do is to study the module?

What do you think?

Tim