[bt-devel] rpm creation

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 20 May 2001 17:40:17 +0200

Hi,

as you know we're short before the packaging of 1.0.
Some ideas on rpm creation:

1. we will not provide binary sword rpms, source rpms are ok but not
necessary imo

2. all binaries which do not belong to official releases go into the
"development version" release

3. static linking
These are thoughts which Uwe Koloska posted on sword-devel about a year ago.
I think we should make the static compiling more automatic. As I have seen in
the .spec file that Brook posted here, the static compiling is done by
removing the shared libs from the linker paths (by renaming them). This is
imo too much work. See below:

<quote>
   there are two possible ways for linking some specific libraries static
   while all the others remain dynamically:

   - present the full path of libLIB.a to the linker (this solution is
     dependent to your personal system and should not be used in public
     makefiles)

   - command the linker explicit to link some libraries static:
         g++ [...] -Wl,-Bstatic -lqt -Wl,-Bdynamic [...]
     `-Wl,OPTION'
     Pass OPTION as an option to the linker.  If OPTION contains
     commas, it is split into multiple options at the commas.
                                                     [from gcc.info]
     This one should be used for public Makefiles.
</quote>

We should consider changing our automake file system to support static
builds. It should not be too difficult, only the final llinker command should
need to be modified. That way we can just say
configure --static-build
and the linker will use the static libs instead of the shared ones, even if
they are available.

Martin